Our company’s first managing director, Jacob Baldwin, passed away in the early hours of this morning after an extended illness. We are so very sad to lose him, and so glad that he saw the huge positive reaction to our NYCTaxi submission before he left us.
Jacob Francis Baldwin, “gifted” with the condition of Cerebral Palsy Athetosis, had an eclectic range of personal experiences and professional skills.
Qualified as a rehabilitation Councillor [the first person with a classified disability in Australia to graduate] and Trainer, his knowledge and experience spanned over 30 years in a professional capacity in the Disability Industry.
Jacob was respectfully known as an ideas man with follow through plus. He was known throughout the nation for his determination and commitment to people with classified disabilities by travelling around Australia in an electric wheelchair demonstrating to the public that it’s Ability that counts. Jacob lived on the Far North Coast of N.S.W. Australia.
He ran a Training Agency and was an International motivation speaker. Jacob was a recipient of the 2000 Australian Achiever Award. In his spare time Jacob found great joy in assisting others to achieve their potentials. His leisure interests were chess, reading, writing, cooking, people watching, meditation, performing poetry and travelling.
From Jacob’s list of many “Firsts”:
- First to graduate as a Rehabilitation Counsellor with a classified disability in Australia
- First person with a classified disability to work in the field of Community Welfare in NSW AUSTRALIA
- Established first government funded consumer information resources centre for disability in Australia
- Foundation member of the N.S.W. Disability Council
- Major starring role in ABC Television Logie winning documentary series A MATTER OF CHANCE
- First Person classified as disabled to gain Senior position in NSW Government
- Instigated Byron Bay Access Commitee on North Coast NSW Australia
- First person ever to drive Around Australia in a Powerchair. (battery powered wheelchair – it took him 4 years)
- Co founded Artreach. NSW disability Arts organisation
- First to promote ability on a National scale in Australia
Jacob was a tireless advocate for innovative access solutions for people with disabilities. The many people who knew and admired Jacob will sorely miss him.